Apple Clove Butter
We have all heard that old saying “An apple a day keeps the doctor away”, well an apple might not keep the doctor away but it may make it easier not to see the doctor as often. Apples are available all year round but they are so full of flavor as we head into fall. Use organic ingredients whenever possible.
3 lbs sweet and tart apples, un-peeled, chopped, uncored
3 cups apple cider
1/2 cup raw sugar
1 2-inch cinnamon stick
2 whole cloves
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- In a large wide pot over medium-high heat, add apples, cider, sugar, cinnamon, cloves and salt.
- Boil and stir occasionally. About 60-90 minutes. Most liquid should evaporate and apples should be very soft.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Remove cinnamon stick.
- Using a coarse mesh sieve, pass apple mixture through by pressing with a rubber spatula.
- Throw away peel, seeds and cloves.
- In a baking pan, transfer apple mixture and bake.
- Stir every 25-30 minutes.
- Mixture will reduce by 1/2 and become very dark amber and thick. About 1 1/2 – 2 hours.
- Remove from oven, stir in vinegar and cool in pan.
- Can be stored for up to 1 month in the fridge in airtight container.