Apricot and Almond Quinoa Pilaf
Use organic ingredients whenever possible.
- Yield: Serves 6 1x
1 cup quinoa
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup almonds, toasted and roughly chopped
1 1/2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/3 cup dried apricots, chopped
1/3 cup fresh flat leaf parsley leaves, chopped
1/3 tsp salt
1/8 tsp freshly ground pepper, plus more to taste
- In a medium saucepan, add quinoa and water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Once water begins to boil, reduce heat to simmer.
- Cover saucepan and continue to cook until liquid is absorbed. About 12-15 minutes.
- While water is absorbing, toast almonds in a dry skillet over medium-high heat. Stir frequently. About 5-8 minutes.
- Remove almonds and place aside to cool. When cooled, roughly chop them.
- In same skillet, add oil, onions and cook. Stir occasionally until they soften and begin to brown. About 5-6 minutes.
- Add in allspice and cook for another 30 seconds.
- When all water is absorbed and quinoa is soft, fluff it with a fork and transfer to a large serving bowl.
- Stir in almonds, onion mixture, apricots and parsley.
- Season with salt and pepper.
The Health Benefits of Apricots
Find out why adding Apricots to your diet will help make you your own Health Hero. Find out more about the Health Benefits of Apricots.