Use organic ingredients whenever possible.
1 cup quinoa
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup almonds, toasted and roughly chopped
1 1/2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/3 cup dried apricots, chopped
1/3 cup fresh flat leaf parsley leaves, chopped
1/3 tsp salt
1/8 tsp freshly ground pepper, plus more to taste
- In a medium saucepan, add quinoa and water and bring to a boil with medium-high heat.
- Once water begins to boil, reduce heat to simmer.
- Cover saucepan and continue to cook until liquid is absorbed. (about 12-15 minutes)
- While water is absorbing, toast almonds in a dry skillet on medium-high heat. Stir frequently. (about 5-8 minutes)
- Remove almonds and place aside to cool. When cooled, roughly chop them.
- In the same skillet, add oil, onions and cook. Stir occasionally until they soften and begin to brown. (about 5-6 minutes)
- Add in allspice and cook for another 30 seconds.
- When all water is absorbed and quinoa is soft, fluff it with a fork and transfer to a large serving bowl.
- Stir in almonds, onion mixture, apricots and parsley.
- Season with salt and pepper.