Artichoke Soup with Shrimp Skewers
Use organic ingredients whenever possible.
5 large artichoke hearts, fresh and trimmed
5 Tbsp butter, divided
1 medium leek, sliced and rinsed, white/green parts only
7 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 cup shallots, finely chopped (you can use yellow onions if shallots are unavailable)
8–9 oz. Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and diced
12 cups low sodium chicken broth (vegetable broth can be used)
1/2 bay leaf
2 sprigs thyme, fresh
5 sprigs parsley, fresh
1 sprig mint, fresh
1/3 cup cream
1/3 tsp cracked black peppercorns
Kosher salt and cracked black/red pepper to taste
- Begin to peel off leaves from around artichoke until you find thistle choke in the center.
- Using a small knife, remove choke and throw it away.
- Cut tough skin of stems and throw away.
- Leave roughly 1 1/2 inches of stem on artichoke hearts.
- Roughly chop hearts into small pieces, about 1/3 inch in thickness.
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt butter and add artichoke hearts, leek, garlic and shallots.
- Cook until tender but do not let them brown. About 1-2 minutes.
- Add stock to pot and diced potatoes.
- In cheesecloth, place bay leaf, thyme, mint and parsley, as well as the peppercorns, and add to pot.
- Bring soup to a high simmer over medium-high heat, then lower back to medium heat.
- Cook uncovered. About 1 1/4 hours.
- Remove cheesecloth.
- Using a handheld mixer, mix soup to desired texture.
- Just before serving soup, heat to a simmer and stir in remaining butter and cream.
- Season with salt and crushed black and red pepper to taste.
- Serve with skewers of cooked shrimp.
The Health Benefits of Artichokes
Find out why adding Artichokes to your diet will help make you your own #HealthHero. Find out more about the Health Benefits of Artichokes.