FOR THE PASTA:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 4 carrots, peeled, diced
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 2 28-ounce cans fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 4 servings of cooked fettuccine pasta
- 2 chilis in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/3 cup flour of choice
- 1 cup almond
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 2 cups shredded kale
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil, for garnish
FOR THE MUSHROOM BACON:
- 1 8-ounce package of any kinds or your choice of mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
TO MAKE THE MUSHROOM BACON:
- Slice the mushrooms, coat in all the ingredients and bake in the oven on 250°F for 30 minutes. Rotate the mushrooms in midway for an even cook. Mushrooms should be crispy, not hard.
TO MAKE THE SAUCE:
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, and garlic; cook 7-10 minutes, until vegetables are soft. Add the tomato paste and cook until it begins to caramelize.
- Sprinkle the flour in while continuously stirring and cook for an additional 3 minutes. Add crushed tomatoes, broth, sun-dried tomatoes, basil, red pepper, and bring to a boil, then cover, and reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes. Allow the flavors to combine by simmering for 25-30 minutes.
- Purée sauce in blender or food processor until smooth. Add the almonds and nutritional yeast, puree again, and put back into saucepan; return to simmer. Remove from heat, and stir in almond milk. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Toss the pasta in the sauce and shredded kale, and top with sun-dried tomatoes, and mushroom bacon. Garnish with basil.