Hot and Sour Soup
Use organic ingredients whenever possible.
5 dried shiitake mushrooms
5 dried wood ear mushrooms
32 oz. fat-free vegetable broth
2 1/4 cups water, divided
1 Tbsp fresh ginger, minced and peeled
1 tsp minced garlic
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1/2 to 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/2 lb. firm or extra firm tofu, drained and cut into 1/4-inch cubes
2 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch
4 large egg whites, lightly beaten
1/2 cup green onions, chopped
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, minced
1 tsp dark sesame oil
Chili oil, optional
- Place mushrooms in a medium bowl and cover with boiling water.
- Cover and let stand 10 minutes or until tender and drain. Thinly slice mushrooms and set aside.
- Combine broth, 2 cups water, ginger, and garlic in a large saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil.
- Add mushrooms. Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes.
- Add vinegar, soy sauce, pepper, and tofu and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes.
- Combine remaining 1/4 cup water and cornstarch, stirring with a whisk.
- Stir cornstarch mixture into broth mixture. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 3 minutes or until soup thickens slightly, stirring frequently.
- Slowly pour egg whites into broth mixture in a steady stream, stirring constantly but gently with a wooden spoon. Remove from heat and stir in onions, cilantro, and sesame oil.
- Drizzle with chili oil, if desired.
The Health Benefits of Ginger
Find out why adding Giner to your diet will help make you your own #HealthHero. Find out more about the Health Benefits of Ginger.