1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Small diced onion
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper or to taste
1 large bay leaf or two small
1 diced green chili (optional)
1 cup masoor dal- red dal
4 cups water
- In a medium saucepan, add oil and saute’ cumin seeds and onion.
- Once the onion becomes translucent, add the cumin, turmeric, curry, garam masala, green chili, bay leaf, salt & cayenne pepper.
- Cook the spices for about a minute stirring often until spices become aromatic.
- Add the dal and coat with spices.
- Add four cups of water to saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover for approximately 30 minutes. Garnish with cilantro and freshly diced green chili (optional).