Moroccan Chicken Soup
Use organic ingredients whenever possible.
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 cup onion, chopped
3 skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 to 1/4 tsp ground red pepper
3 cups butternut squash, peeled and cubed
2 Tbsp tomato paste
4 cups low sodium chicken stock
1/3 cup uncooked couscous
3/4 tsp kosher salt
1 zucchini, quartered lengthwise and sliced into 3/4-inch pieces
1/2 cup basil, coarsely chopped fresh
2 tsp grated orange rind
- Heat a Dutch oven to medium heat.
- Add oil to pan.
- Add onion, and cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add chicken and cook for 4 minutes, browning on all sides.
- Add cumin, cinnamon, and pepper to pan. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add butternut squash and tomato paste and cook for an additional minute.
- Stir in chicken stock, scraping pan to loosen browned bits.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 8 minutes.
- Stir in couscous, salt, and zucchini and cook 5 minutes or until squash is tender.
- Remove pan from heat. Stir in chopped basil and orange rind.
The Health Benefits of Cumin
Find out why adding Cumin to your diet will help make you your own #HealthHero. Find out more about the Health Benefits of Cumin.