Veggie Shepherd’s Pie
Use organic ingredients whenever possible.
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 cup onion, diced
1 1/2 cups mushroom, finely chopped
2–3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 tsp each dried thyme and savory
3 Tbsp all purpose flour
1 package veggie ground round
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1/2 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup sweet yellow pepper, diced
3 cups mashed cooked sweet potato
1 Tbsp butter
1/3 cup grated parmesan
2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring for 5 minutes, until soft. Stir in mushrooms, garlic and herbs, cook for 3 minutes.
- Stir in flour and ground round, breaking up with a spoon. Cook, stirring for about 1 minute.
- Stir in broth, tomato paste, peas and peppers. Cover and simmer for about 5 minutes, until thickened.
- In a large bowl, stir together hot sweet potatoes and butter. Stir in cheese. Set aside.
- Transfer ground mixture to a lightly greased 8-inch square baking pan. Spoon sweet potato mixture over top.
- Bake in a 350 F oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until heated through. Sprinkle with parsley if desired.
The Health Benefits of Garlic
Find out why adding Garlic to your diet will help make you your own #HealthHero. Find out more about the Health Benefits of Garlic.