Gluten Free Apple Pie
We have all heard that old saying “An apple a day keeps the doctor away”, well an apple might not keep the doctor away but it may make it easier not to see the doctor as often. Apples are available all year round but they are so full of flavor as we head into fall. Try this delicious recipe to add apples to your diet and feel the health benefits! Remember also to use organic ingredients whenever possible.
- Yield: Makes 1 1x
6 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, sliced 1/4 inch thick
3/4 cup coconut sugar
2 Tbsp sorghum flour
2 Tbsp arrowroot starch
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp almond milk, unflavored
1 tsp cane sugar
1/3 cup sorghum flour
1/3 cup millet flour
1/3 cup arrowroot starch
1/4 cup brown rice flour
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup cold palm shortening
1 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
4–5 Tbsp cold water
3/4 tsp xanthan gum
- In a large mixing bowl, add sorghum flour, millet flour, arrowroot starch, brown rice flour sea salt and xanthan gum.
- Cut in palm shortening until mixture looks like coarse crumbs.
- Add apple cider vinegar and water.
- Stir gently until mixture becomes dough.
- Remove from bowl.
- Place in fridge wrapped in plastic wrap for 30 minutes before using.
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Roll out crust and place in 9-inch pie plate. Don’t trim excess dough from edges.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine apples and 1/2 juice from lemon.
- In a small mixing bowl, add palm sugar, sorghum flour, arrowroot starch, cinnamon and nutmeg. Whisk well and sprinkle over apples.
- Toss to coat.
- Place apple mixture in pie shell even juices.
- Roll out second pie crust and place on top gently.
- Trim overhanging pie crust dough about 1 inch from rim of plate.
- Fold and roll the top pie crust under lower pie crust.
- Flute as much as you like.
- With a sharp knife, cut slits in top of pie crust. At least 6-9. Steam must escape.
- Brush crush with almond milk and sprinkle with cane sugar.
- Place pie on baking sheet and place in oven.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350 F and bake for an additional 45-55 minutes.
- Crust should be golden brown and apples tender and soft.
- Test by placing a knife in one of the slits on top of crust.
- Remove from oven and serve warm or cool.