Use organic ingredients whenever possible.
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp nigella seeds (celery or onion seeds can be used)
3 dried red chilies
1 small onion, chopped
6 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tsp coriander powder
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/3 tsp freshly ground pepper
2 medium tomatoes pureed
20 oz. green jackfruit, chopped into small pieces or shred
25–30 medium shrimp, shelled, deveined, cooked
1/2 tsp sea salt
1–1 1/2 cups water
- In a skillet over medium heat, heat extra virgin olive oil and add cumin, mustard and nigella seeds. Wait to hear seeds sizzle or pop. About 1 minute.
- Add bay leaves and red chilies. Cook for 15 seconds.
- Add onion, garlic and a pinch of salt. Cook for 5-6 minutes or until translucent. Stir occasionally.
- Add coriander, turmeric, and freshly ground pepper. Mix thoroughly.
- Add pureed tomatoes, jackfruit and salt. Mix well.
- Cover and cook for 15-17 minutes.
- To thicken tomato puree, uncover and cook for 3-5 more minutes.
- Add water and cook for an additional 15-20 minutes.
- Taste and add extra salt or spice if necessary.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cover. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Add cooked shrimp and cook for another 5 minutes.
Find out why adding Jackfruit to your diet will help make you your own Health Hero. Find out more about the Health Benefits of Jackfruit.