Taking its name from the aroma, allspice is a wonderful spice that will add a big flavor to any dish. Plus, allspice adds health benefits such as anti-viral and anti-fungal qualities. Adding allspice to your diet is a tasty way to stay on the journey to becoming your own Health Hero.
Use organic ingredients whenever possible.
- Yield: Serves 6 1x
1 block extra firm tofu, drained, pressed
2 tsp arrowroot powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp thyme, dried, divided
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
4 Tbsp coconut oil
1/2 tsp allspice, ground, divided
11/2 tsp kosher salt, divided
1 medium onion, peeled, diced
6 cloves garlic, peeled, finely minced
1–2 chili pepper, seeded, minced
5 red potatoes, chopped
2 Tbsp Jamaican curry powder
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
2 cups water
2 Tbsp parsley, fresh, chopped
3 cups chickpeas, cooked, rinsed
- Cut tofu into cubes and place in a medium mixing bowl.
- Add arrowroot powder, garlic powder, 1/2 dried thyme, 1 tsp salt, black pepper and 1/2 ground allspice.
- Stir to combine.
- In a saucepan over medium high heat, add 2 Tbsp coconut oil.
- Add tofu in a single layer.
- Cook for 5-6 minutes before flipping. Should brown up.
- Flip the tofu and cook until browned on all sides. About 10-12 minutes.
- Transfer cubes to a bowl and set aside.
- In the same saucepan, add remaining coconut oil.
- Saute onion, garlic and chili peppers. Onions should soften. About 3-4 minutes.
- Add potatoes and mix in curry powder, red pepper flakes and remaining thyme, ground allspice and salt.
- Stir to combine and coat the vegetables. Cook for 5-6 minutes.
- Add chickpeas and cook for 5-6 minutes.
- Add water to cover veggies.
- Cook until potatoes are tender and mixture thickens.
- Pour mixture over tofu and garnish with parsley.