Use organic ingredients whenever possible.
3 medium eggplants, sliced into 18 1/4 inch slices lengthwise.
3 medium lemons, juiced
18 oz. extra firm tofu, drained, pressed dry
5 Tbsp nutritional yeast
3/4 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
1 1/2 Tbsp oregano, dried
5 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp pepper
1/3 cup vegan parmesan cheese plus extra for serving
Fresh basil to top roll ups
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- In a colander, add eggplant slices and salt.
- Set aside for 12-15 minutes to remove excess water and bitterness.
- Rinse eggplant well and dry completely with paper towel. Press them down with a sheet to remove all water.
- On baking sheets arrange eggplant slices in even layer.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Set aside.
- Reduce heat to 375 F.
- Add tofu, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, fresh basil, oregano, salt, pepper and extra virgin olive oil to food processor and pulse to combine well.
- Scrape down sides if needed.
- Some texture is desired.
- Taste and adjust as needed.
- In a baking dish, add 1/2 of tomato sauce and save the rest.
- Set aside.
- Remove eggplant from oven.
- Scoop a generous amount of filling onto each eggplant slice.
- Roll up.
- Place seam side down in sauce lined baking dish.
- Continue until all filling and eggplant is done.
- Pour more sauce down center of rolls to bring in more flavor.
- Place back in oven.
- Cook for 17-25 minutes.
- Sauce should bubble and tops of rolls brown slightly.
- Serve warm with vegan parmesan cheese and fresh basil leaves.