Leeks & Chicken Shepherds Pie
Use organic ingredients whenever possible.
- Yield: Serves 6 1x
2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
2 large leeks, white and light green parts, washed and sliced thinly
1 1/2 cups carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
1/3 cup dry white wine
3 Tbsp all purpose flour (Spelt flour is a great substitute)
2 tsp fresh sage, chopped finely
2 cups low sodium chicken broth
2 1/2 cups cooked chicken, diced
1 cup frozen peas
1/4 tsp sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 lbs Yukon Gold potatoes, washed, peeled and cut into chunks
3/4 cups nonfat buttermilk
1/4 tsp salt
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 425 F and heat 2 tsp oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add leeks and carrots.
- Cook while stirring until leeks soften and become fragrant. About 6-8 minutes.
- Add garlic and continue to cook while stirring for 1 more minute.
- Pour in wine and stir until most liquid has evaporated.
- Add flour and sage and continue to cook while stirring. The flour should start to turn a light brown. About 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in broth and simmer.
- Stir constantly and wait until sauce thickens and carrots are just tender. About 4-6 minutes.
- Add chicken and peas.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer everything to a deep 10 inch pie pan and set aside.
- Place potatoes in a large pot and add cold salted water to cover them.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Cook partially covered until potatoes are tender 10-12 minutes.
- Drain water and keep potatoes in pan.
- Remove from heat and allow potatoes to dry a bit.
- Mash potatoes and add buttermilk to make a smooth puree.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in egg and olive oil.
- Spread potatoes on chicken mixture.
- Set dish on a baking sheet and bake until potatoes and filling are heated through. Top will turn golden brown about 25-35 minutes.
The Health Benefits of Leeks
Find out why adding Leeks to your diet will help make you your own #HealthHero. Find out more about the Health Benefits of Leeks.