Use organic ingredients whenever possible.
- Yield: Serves 8 1x
1 cup dry green lentils
2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
3 Tbsp ground flaxseed
6 Tbsp water
2 Tbsp avocado oil
4 garlic cloves, peeled, minced
1 small onion, peeled, diced
1 small red bell pepper, finely diced
1 carrot, grated
1 stalk celery, finely diced
3/4 cup gluten-free oats
1/2 cup gluten free oat flour
1/5 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp plus a pinch cumin
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp ground chipotle pepper
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
4 Tbsp organic ketchup
1 1/3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 1/3 pure maple syrup
- In a large pot over medium high heat, add broth with lentils.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat to a simmer.
- Cover and simmer for 35-40 minutes.
- Stir occasionally.
- Remove lid and set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a small bowl, add flaxseed and 1/3 cup water to make a flax egg.
- Place in fridge for 10-20 minutes to thicken.
- Over medium heat in a saute pan, add avocado oil.
- Add garlic, onion, red pepper, carrots and celery.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Add spices and combine well.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a food processor, add roughly 3/4 of lentil mixture and blend.
- Add sauteed vegetables, oats, oat flour and flax egg.
- Combine very well.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- In a parchment paper lined loaf pan, add mixture.
- Press down to make sure no bare edges of pan.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add ketchup, syrup and balsamic vinegar.
- Mix well to combine all flavors.
- Spread over top of loaf.
- Place loaf pan in oven.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes.
- Remove and serve warm.