Mini Vegan Black Forest Cakes
Use organic ingredients whenever possible.
1 cup plain flour (you can swap out for gluten-free option)
1 tsp baking powder
2–3 Tbsp cocoa powder
2 Tbsp soft brown sugar
1/2 cup oat milk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup vegan butter
Cream and cherry filling:
3 cups coconut cream, chilled
1–2 Tbsp powdered stevia
1 cup frozen cherries, defrosted
1/3 cup cherry liqueur
Vegan Chocolate shavings, to decorate
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Soak cherries in liqueur while cakes are baking and drain just before using.
- Grease two small 6-inch cake tins.
- Using your hand, crumble soft brown sugar into a large mixing bowl.
- Sift all other dry ingredients into same bowl.
- Using a small saucepan over medium heat, add butter and coconut oil and melt. Stir occasionally.
- Combine milk and apple cider vinegar in a small cup.
- Set aside to curdle.
- Fold in wet ingredients with dry ingredients. Stir until just combined.
- Divide batter into cups and smooth out tops.
- Bake for 25 – 30 minutes. Test by using a skewer. If you can pass a skewer into a cake and it comes out clean, they are ready.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk coconut cream and stevia into stiff peaks and set aside in fridge.
- When cakes are totally cooled, slice them in half through middle.
- Slather coconut whipped cream onto first slice, then top with soaked cherries.
- Place second slice on top of the first and again coat with coconut whipped cream.
- Top with third slice.
- Repeat until you are left with final, topmost slice.
- Place on top of third and cover with more coconut whipped cream.
- Using a spatula, cover the sides of the cake.
- Decorate with the chocolate shavings. (top with cherries optional)