Tuna and Pea Casserole
Use organic ingredients whenever possible.
- Yield: Serves 6 1x
8 oz. whole-wheat egg noodles
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 medium sweet onion, finely chopped
4 oz. mushrooms, finely sliced
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup dry white wine
6 Tbsp bread flour
3 cups non-fat milk
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
12 oz. chunk canned light tuna, drained
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
3/4 cup parmesan cheese
1/3 cup breadcrumbs
- In a large pot, bring water to boil and cook noodles until just tender. About 7-9 minutes.
- Drain and rinse noodles.
- Position rack in upper 1/3 of oven.
- Preheat broiler.
- Heat olive oil in ovenproof large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onions, mushrooms and salt. Cook until onions soften. Do not let onions brown. Stir often. About 5-6 minutes.
- Add wine and cook until wine evaporates. About 4-6 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour over vegetables and stir to coat.
- Add milk and pepper and bring mixture to a simmer.
- Stir constantly.
- Stir in tuna, peas and 1/2 cup parmesan cheese until evenly incorporated.
- Stir in noodles and remove from heat.
- In 6 oven-safe oval porcelain ramekins, spoon equal amounts of mixture.
- Sprinkle casserole with breadcrumbs and remaining parmesan.
- Broil ramekins until bubbly and browned on top. About 3-5 minutes.
The Health Benefits of Peas
Find out why adding Peas to your diet will help make you your own Health Hero. Find out more about the Health Benefits of Peas.