Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup
Mushrooms are full of health benefits including enhanced immune system function, supporting bone health, protecting against certain cancers and anemia. As always, use organic ingredients whenever possible.
- Yield: 6 cups 1x
9 Tbsp olive oil
3 shallots, finely chopped
9 cloves garlic, finely grated
1 1/2 lb. button mushrooms
2 Tbsp Dry Sherry
3/4 cup chickpea flour
3 cups unsweetened almond milk, chilled
3 cups reduced sodium vegetable broth
Pinch fresh nutmeg, finely grated
Pinch dried thyme
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a skillet over medium high heat, add olive oil and warm up.
- Add shallots and garlic, saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and brown. About 4-5 minutes.
- Add flour.
- Stir until veggies “absorb it”. The longer you cook, the browner the color.
- Add dry sherry and cook until it evaporates. About 60-90 seconds.
- Whisk in small increments of almond milk to dissolve the all the flour. Make sure there are no clumps.
- Add vegetable broth, nutmeg, thyme, salt and black pepper.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer. Stir gently as needed.
- Thicken sauce to desired consistency. About 8-10 minutes.