Mushrooms are full of health benefits including enhanced immune system function, supporting bone health, protecting against certain cancers and anemia. As always, use organic ingredients whenever possible.
9 Tbsp olive oil
3 shallots, finely chopped
9 cloves garlic, finely grated
1 1/2 lb. button mushrooms
2 Tbsp Dry Sherry
3/4 cup chickpea flour
3 cups unsweetened almond milk, chilled
3 cups reduced sodium vegetable broth
Pinch fresh nutmeg, finely grated
Pinch dried thyme
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a skillet over medium high heat, add olive oil and warm up.
- Add shallots and garlic, saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and brown. About 4-5 minutes.
- Add flour.
- Stir until veggies “absorb it”. The longer you cook, the browner the color.
- Add dry sherry and cook until it evaporates. About 60-90 seconds.
- Whisk in small increments of almond milk to dissolve the all the flour. Make sure there are no clumps.
- Add vegetable broth, nutmeg, thyme, salt and black pepper.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer. Stir gently as needed.
- Thicken sauce to desired consistency. About 8-10 minutes.