Vegan Green Bean Casserole
Green beans are not just a delicious holiday fan favorite but are also full of powerful anti-oxidants and vitamin K. As always use organic ingredients whenever possible.
- Yield: Serves 8 1x
4 Tbsp avocado oil divided
1 1/2 large onions, thinly sliced
6 cloves garlic, finely grated
1 1/2 lbs. green beans, trimmed, cut into 1 1/4 inch pieces
3 1/2 cups vegan Cream of Mushroom soup
3/4 cup gluten-free breadcrumbs
2 Tbsp almonds, sliced
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- In a skillet over medium-low heat, add 3 Tbsp avocado oil and allow it to simmer.
- Add sliced onions and garlic.
- Saute until caramelization happens. About 30-35 minutes. Stir as needed.
- Set aside.
- In a steam basket inside a pot, steam the green beans until tender. About 5-6 minutes.
- Drain and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add gluten-free breadcrumbs and 1 Tbsp avocado oil.
- In a 3-quart casserole dish, lightly oil the bottom and add 1/2 the caramelized onions.
- Add green beans over onions.
- Pour mushroom soup beans.
- Spread remaining caramelized onions over sauce.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs and sliced almonds over surface.
- Cover and bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Sauce should be bubbling.
- Uncover and place dish under broiler to brown breadcrumbs and almonds for 3-5 minutes.
- Serve warm.