Vegan Split Pea Soup
Use organic ingredients whenever possible.
- Yield: Serves 6 1x
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
1 medium yellow onion, diced into small pieces
3 cloves garlic, finely minced
1/2 tsp cumin
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
5 cups low sodium vegetable broth
1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
2 ribs celery, with leaves, chopped
1 lb. dried split peas, rinsed
4 slices of white sandwich bread, cut into 1/2 inch cubes (can substitute gluten free bread)
- Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large pot over medium high heat.
- Add bread and cook until golden and crisp. Toss to ensure no burning. About 4-5 minutes.
- Drain croutons on paper towel and set aside.
- In same pot, add additional oil and heat.
- Add onion, garlic, cumin and celery.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Saute until onion and celery softens. About 6-8 minutes.
- Add broth, 4 cups water and split peas and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer.
- Cover pot and cook until peas are tender and soup thickens. About 35-45 minutes.
- Season with more salt and pepper to taste.
- When serving, stir in parsley and top with homemade croutons.
The Health Benefits of Peas
Find out why adding Peas to your diet will help make you your own Health Hero. Find out more with the Health Benefits of Peas blog.