Black Garlic Tomato Sauce
Use organic ingredients whenever possible.
You’ll love my Black Garlic Tomato Sauce! Add it to Zucchini noodles for a meal for a Health Hero!
3–4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 carrot, very finely chopped
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 stick of celery, finely chopped
1 roasted red pepper, chopped
15 oz. chopped tomatoes
4 cloves peeled black garlic
1 Tbsp tomato puree
1 1/2 tsp caster sugar (if you cannot find caster sugar, substitute superfine sugar)
1 tsp dried oregano
1/3 cup fresh basil, chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a large saucepan, add extra virgin olive oil and heat until hot.
- Add carrots, onion and celery and cook until they soften but do not turn color.
- Peel and then crush black garlic and add to vegetables.
- Pour in chopped tomatoes and add tomato puree, roasted red pepper and oregano.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer on a very low heat for 35 minutes.
- If the sauce is too thick, add some hot low sodium vegetable stock.
- Add sugar.
- Simmer for 5-10 more minutes & serve with a small portion of pasta or even better with zucchini noodles!
The Health Benefits of Black Garlic
Find out why adding Black Garlic to your diet will help make you your own Health Hero. Find out more about the Health Benefits of Black Garlic.