From The Biggest Loser Cookbook:From the time I was very young, I’ve been a huge fan of sloppy joes. This one is much leaner than most, and it’s one of my all-time favorite versions. I prefer making this recipe with chicken over turkey, though both will work. If you have trouble finding extra-lean ground chicken, ask your butcher to grind chicken breasts for you. I’ve found that butchers at most major grocery stores will happily do it at no extra charge. Chicken breasts tend to cost less per pound that extra-lean ground chicken or turkey, so you may even save a few dollars.
- 1 lb extra-lean ground chicken
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp hot-pepper sauce
- 2/3 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/3 cup hopped green bell pepper
- 3/4 cup low-sodium tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup chili sauce
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 4 whole grain buns
- Mist a medium nonstick skillet with olive oil spray and set it over medium-high heat. Add the chicken. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, breaking into large chunks, for 4 to 6 minutes, or until no longer pink.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the vinegar, Worcestershire, honey, and hot-pepper sauce. Whisk to blend. Set aside.
- Drain off any liquid that has accumulated in the pan. Add the onion, bell pepper, tomato sauce, chili sauce, chili powder, and the reserved vinegar mixture to the pan. Stir to blend. Bring the mixture to a boil then reduce the heat so mixture simmers. Cook for 20 minutes, or until the mixture is thickened.
- Spoon the mixture equally onto the opened buns. Serve immediately.
Reprinted from THE BIGGEST LOSER COOKBOOK by Chef Devin Alexander and The Biggest Loser Experts and Cast. © 2006 by Universal Studios Licensing LLLP, The Biggest Loser and NBC Studios, Inc., and Reveille LLC. Permission granted by Rodale, Inc., Emmaus, PA 18098. www.devinalexander.com Photo Credit: Mitch Mandel Originally posted on www.devinalexander.com
Devin AlexanderMedia Personality, Healthy Comfort Food Chef, Weight Loss Expert, and New York Times Bestselling Author, Devin Alexander, is the Chef of NBC’s “The Biggest Loser” and the author of 8 cookbooks including “The Biggest Loser Cookbook” Series and “The Most Decadent Diet Ever”. Devin’s unique approach to healthy cooking and her motivational personal story have landed her regular appearances on talk, news, weight loss and fitness shows for over a decade, making her America’s Go-To Expert for decadence without consequence. Devin has shared her secrets through frequent appearances on The Today Show, Good Morning America, The Biggest Loser, Dr. Oz, Dr. Phil, The View, FOX, CNN, and others, and through over 500 magazine features including Prevention, Men’s Health and Shape. She’s coached thousands of pounds off others and has maintained her own 70-pound weight loss for over 20 years. She truly lives and eats her message: you don’t have to deprive yourself to be fit and healthy. For inspirational tips and guilt-free recipes visit her at www.devinalexander.com. Connect with Devon on:
Serving: 1gSodium: 876mgFiber: 5gCholesterol: 5mgCalories: 331kcalFat: 4gProtein: 31gCarbohydrates: 43g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!