Tasty Ukrainian Borscht
Dr. Nandi's Cold Borscht
- 1 lb. beets beetroot, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 2 medium onions sliced into half-moons
- 2 large carrots peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 3/4 lb. white cabbage cut thinly into shreds
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- Salt to taste
- Coarsely ground black pepper
- Sour cream optional, omit for vegan soup
- Finely chopped parsley for garnish
- Cut the onions, carrots, and beets and sauté over medium heat in the olive oil with a pinch of salt in a large soup pot.
- Reserve a small amount of beet to grate and add near the end to enliven the color.
- Bring the vegetable stock to a boil. When the vegetables are soft , add the shredded cabbage and the hot stock.
- Bring to a boil and simmer 15-25 minutes, until the vegetables are tender. With a few minutes left, add the reserved grated beet.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, then squeeze in the lemon juice, aiming for a pleasing but subtle sour taste.
- Serve with freshly grated black pepper, a dollop of sour cream, and chopped parsley, if desired.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!