- Pre-heat oven to 425F and place a large cast iron pan in oven to heat.
- Fill large saucepan with water and boil over high heat.
- Carve an “X” into rounded side of each chestnut with a sharp paring knife.
- Make sure you cut only through shell and not too deep into the nut meat.
- Once water is boiling, add chestnuts and blanch for 30-45 seconds.
- Drain and dry chestnuts.
- Transfer chestnuts, “X” side up, to pre-heated skillet in oven.
- Roast until the shell starts to curl away from the nut. (about 25-35 minutes)
- Transfer nuts to brown paper bags and close.
- Set aside to allow nuts to cool enough to be handled.
- Transfer skillet to your stovetop, add butter, cinnamon stick, salt, sugar and nutmeg. The skillet should still be hot enough to melt the butter and combine the ingredients.
- Once the ingredients are melted and combined, transfer the mixture to a medium bowl.
- Using your fingers, peel away the shells and brown skin found on the chestnuts. Add the peeled chestnuts to the butter mixture.
- Once all of your chestnuts are peeled and in the butter mixture toss to coat.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and serve warm.
The Health Benefits of Chestnuts
Find out why adding Chestnuts to your diet will help make you your own Health Hero. Find out more about the Health Benefits of Chestnuts
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!