Roasted Apricot Glazed Chicken
Use organic ingredients whenever possible.
Chicken and Glaze:
16 lb. roasted chicken, remove giblets
3 1/2 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup apricot jam
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
2 Tbsp lemon juice, fresh squeezed
2 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
1 lb. fresh apricots
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1/2 fresh lemon, freshly squeezed
Chicken and Glaze:
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Place chicken in a roasting pan with breast side up.
- Sprinkle cavity and outside of chicken with salt and pepper.
- Loosen skin on chicken, gently and rub 2 Tbsp butter under breast skin.
- Rub remaining butter on skin of chicken.
- Place chicken in oven and roast for 1 hour and baste every 15-20 minutes with drippings in pan.
- Over medium-low heat, use a small saucepan, heat remaining butter. Sauté garlic for roughly 1 minute. Do not let it brown.
- Add apricot jam, mustard, lemon juice and low sodium soy sauce.
- Allow it to cook and fully combine, stir occasionally. Do not let it boil. About 3 minutes.
- Brush chicken evenly with apricot glaze.
- Continue to roast chicken.
- Using an instant-read thermometer, insert between breast and thigh. Once thermometer reads 165 F, which is the safe internal temperature for both white and dark meat. You will be cooking the chicken for roughly 10-15 minutes longer. Time will depend on how brown and crispy you enjoy the chicken skin.
- Remove chicken from oven
- Tent with tin foil and allow to rest for 10 minutes before carving.
- Halve apricots and discard pits.
- Arrange apricot halves in a baking dish in one layer, skin side down.
- Sprinkle apricot halves with 2-3 small pinches of cinnamon.
- Sprinkle brown sugar on halves, distribute it evenly across fruit.
- Squeeze lemon juice evenly over apricot halves.
- Put baking dish in oven and cook until apricots begin to caramelize. About 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before serving.
The Health Benefits of Apricots
Find out why adding Apricots to your diet will help make you your own Health Hero. Find out more about the Health Benefits of Apricots.