Use organic ingredients whenever possible.
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp cumin
2 grinds pink salt
1 cup green lentils
1/4 cup small red lentils
3 carrots, chopped
1/2 to 1 package crimini mushrooms, sliced
4 cups vegetable broth
2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
Fresh black pepper, to taste
- Preheat a large pot over medium heat. Saute onion in extra virgin olive oil with a grind of pink salt for about one minute.
- Add garlic, cumin, pepper and salt and saute for another minute.
- Add green lentils, bay leaves and vegetable broth. Cover the pot and bring to a boil (you’ll want to remain around medium heat but still a rolling boil. Make sure the heat’s not up to the boil-over range!) Stir occasionally for about 20 minutes, until the lentils have softened a bit.
- Lower heat to a simmer. Cook for about 5 more minutes.
- Add red lentils, carrots and mushrooms. Continue simmering. The soup will be done in 5-10 mins so check carrots and lentils for doneness after 5 minutes. The red lentils should fall apart, but the green ones should just soften.
- Add nutritional yeast, stir and if you have the patience, let the soup sit for about 10 minutes for flavor-melding potential. But if that aroma has you drooling, dig right in!
The Health Benefits of Bay Leaves
Find out why adding Bay Leaves to your diet will help make you your own #HealthHero. Find out more about the Health Benefits of Bay Leaves.