Leek and Mushroom Cabbage Rolls
- Yield: Serves 10 1x
1 small Savoy cabbage
9 oz. of leeks, washed, trimmed and finely chopped
9 oz. button or Shitake mushrooms, cleaned and finely chopped
2 Tbsp butter
3–4 large garlic cloves, finely minced
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1 Tbsp lemon juice
2 1/2 tsp sweet paprika
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
Salt and pepper for taste, as needed
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Bring 7 quarts water to a boil in large pot.
- Take 10 large outer leaves of the cabbage and blanch leaves in boiling water. About 2 minutes.
- Remove from boiling water and place in cold water to keep color.
- Drain and remove tough lower spine.
- Chop 2 cups of remaining cabbage finely.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium high heat and add cabbage, leeks, garlic and mushrooms. Saute for about 10-12 minutes.
- Stir frequently.
- Add almonds, lemon juice and paprika to mixture and continue to cook for about 5-6 minutes.
- Remove pan and allow time to cool.
- Add egg and salt and pepper to mixture.
- Mix extremely well.
- Divide stuffing equally between blanched cabbage leaves.
- Roll leaves tightly.
- Place seam side down and tightly packed in an ovenproof pan. Make sure it is a single layer.
- Pour vegetable broth around the rolls.
- Cover pan with foil and bake for 20-22 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Use organic ingredients whenever possible.
The Health Benefits of Cabbage
Find out why adding Cabbage to your diet will help make you your own Health Hero. Find out more about the Health Benefits of Cabbage.
The Health Benefits of Leeks
Find out why adding Leeks to your diet will help make you your own Health Hero. Find out more about the Health Benefits of Leeks.