Vegan Eggplant Parmesan
Use organic ingredients whenever possible.
- Yield: Serves 6 1x
2 large thin eggplants, sliced thin
1 1/2 cups (150 grams) almond meal
1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
28 oz. (800 grams) crushed tomatoes
1 1/2 Tbsp coconut sugar
3/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
2 “flax eggs” (2 Tbsp ground flax, 6 Tbsp water well combined)
7 oz. (200 grams) vegan mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
1/2 cup (50 grams) vegan Parmesan cheese
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Place flax egg into shallow bowl.
- In another shallow bowl, combine almond meal, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Dip eggplant slices into flax egg mixture and coat both sides evenly.
- Next coat eggplant slices in almond flour mixture by dredging both sides.
- Place dredged slices on parchment lined baking sheets in single layer.
- Do not allow to touch.
- Once all eggplant has been dredged, place trays in oven and bake. About 25-30 minutes.
- Flip slices over and bake for another 10-15 minutes. Slices will crisp and turn a golden brown.
- When eggplant is done remove it from the oven.
- Turn heat down to 350 F.
- Ladle some sauce to coat bottom of a 14 X 12 inch baking dish.
- Place eggplant slices over sauce.
- They should be close but not overlapping too much.
- Spread some sauce over eggplant and layer some mozzarella over the sauce.
- Repeat with a second layer.
- You may have enough for a third layer as well.
- Finish with sauce, mozzarella and then sprinkle with Parmesan. (Save some sauce and cheese for final baking)
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and carefully scoop into single serving baking dishes.
- Top each bowl with remaining sauce and cheese.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan, combine tomatoes, red pepper flakes, coconut sugar, salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes.
- Stir occasionally.
5 Health Benefits of Eggplant
Find out why adding Eggplants to your diet will help make you your own #HealthHero. Find out more about the Health Benefits of Eggplants.