Vietnamese Pomelo Salad
Use organic ingredients whenever possible.
- Yield: Serves 6 1x
1 large pomelo
1 English cucumber, cut into matchsticks
2 tsp salt
1 carrot, peeled, cut into matchsticks
4 shallots, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
3/4 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
1/4 cup roasted peanuts, chopped roughly
2 Tbsp fish sauce
1 Tbsp water
1 3/4 Tbsp fresh lime juice
2 Tbsp sugar
2–3 tsp chili garlic sauce (depends on your heat level)
- Using a large knife, slice the rind so that you can pull the two sides apart.
- Using fingers, peel pith away from white covered flesh.
- Peel away white skin from flesh.
- Separate flesh into bite sized pieces.
- Set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss cucumber strips with salt.
- Set aside for 20-25 minutes, waiting for all excess water to be drawn out.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add all dressing ingredients.
- Combine well and set aside.
- Cut carrots into matchsticks and set aside in bowl.
- In a pan over medium heat, add avocado oil and add shallots and garlic.
- Saute for 3-4 minutes or until shallots are caramelized.
- All garlic and shallots to cool for 5 minutes and toss with carrots.
- When cucumbers are done sitting for the allotted time, add cucumbers to carrots and combine.
- Add mint, chopped peanuts and dressing.
- Toss very well.