Butternut Tikka Masala
BUTTERNUT TIKKA MASALA
Always use organic when available
- 6 cups 1 large butternut squash peeled, cubed 1-inch cubes
- 4 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 1/2 tsp Garam Masala Spice Blend*
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3 cups chickpeas cooked
- 1/2 cup ginger peeled,sliced
- 15 cloves garlic peeled
- 3 serrano-chilies cut lengthwise
- 6 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 10 Roma tomatoes chopped roughly
- 2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp pepper
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 can coconut milk
- 1/3 cup cilantro roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- In a large mixing bowl, add squash, 4 Tbsp avocado oil, salt and garam masala seasoning.Toss and coat well.
- On a parchment-lined pan, spread out butternut squash.
- Place in the oven for 30-35 minutes.
- In a food processor, add ginger, garlic and serrano chilies. Pulse until finely chopped.
- In a Dutch oven, over medium heat add the 6 Tbsp of avocado oil.
- Add garlic, chili and ginger mixture and saute. About 8-9 minutes.
- Scrape bottom to make sure nothing sticks. Cook until the mixture turns a nice golden color.
- Add the tomato paste and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add spices. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add fresh tomatoes, salt, and water.
- Bring to simmer, reduce heat to low and simmer for 20-22 minutes.
- In a food processor, in small batches blend the mixture to a fairly smooth texture.
- Return to pot and combine in coconut milk. Whisk well.
- Add butternut squash and simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- Serve with rice.
- Garnish with cilantro and yogurt(optional).
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!