- 3 cups cooked pinto beans
- 1 cup cracked freekeh
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 2 Tbsp za'atar
- 2 tsp cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 egg lightly beaten
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large onion thinly sliced
- 3 tsp harissa
- 8 hamburger buns
- Baby spinach leaves for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Place beans in a large bowl and mash them lightly.
- Stir in freekeh, garlic, carrot, and green onions.
- Season with za'atar 1 tsp at a time. Taste the mixture to find correct amount for your liking.
- Stir in cumin, salt and pepper to taste, then fold in the egg.
- Form burger mixture into 8 large patties.
- Put patties on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Brush tops of the patties with extra virgin olive oil and bake for about 25 minutes. You want them golden and slightly crispy on the edges.
- While the burgers are in the oven, heat extra virgin olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and a pinch of salt. Cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in harissa slowly and keep adding to taste.
- To make the burgers, place each patty on a bun and top them with onions, smoky garlic aioli, and spinach leaves.
Smoky Garlic Aioli:
- Toast cumin seeds and coriander seeds in small skillet over medium-high heat. About 1 1/2 minutes.
- Allow to cool.
- Finely grind toasted seeds.
- Whisk mayonnaise, extra-virgin olive oil, fresh lemon juice, smoked paprika, garlic, and ground spices in small bowl.
- Season aioli to taste with salt and pepper.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!