Dr. Nandi’s Green Bean Casserole
Dr. Nandi's Green Bean Casserole
- 3 Tbsp olive oil divided
- 1 medium sweet onion (half diced, half thinly sliced), divided
- 8 oz mushrooms chopped
- 1 Tbsp onion powder
- 1 1/4 tsp salt divided
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour divided
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 3 Tbsp dry sherry
- 1 lb frozen French-cut green beans
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 3 Tbsp buttermilk powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a 2 1/2-quart baking dish with avocado oil
- Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add diced onion and cook, stirring often, until softened and slightly translucent, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in mushrooms, onion powder, 1 tsp salt, thyme and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until the mushroom juices are almost evaporated, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle 1/3 cup flour over the vegetables; stir to coat. Add milk and sherry and bring to a simmer, stirring often.
- Stir in green beans and return to a simmer. Cook, stirring, until heated through, about 1 minute. Stir in sour cream and buttermilk powder. Transfer to the prepared baking dish.
- Whisk the remaining 1/3 cup flour, paprika, garlic powder and the remaining 1/4 tsp salt in a shallow dish.
- Add sliced onion; toss to coat. Heat the remaining 2 Tbsp oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion along with any remaining flour mixture and cook, turning once or twice, until golden and crispy, 4 to 5 minutes. Spread the onion topping over the casserole.
- Bake the casserole until bubbling, about 15 minutes.
- Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!