Dr. Nandi’s Sweet Potato Quesadilla
Dr. Nandi's Sweet Potato Quesadilla
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup raw sugar
- 4 black peppercorns
- 1 large sliced red onion
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 6 6 inch whole wheat or gluten free tortillas
- 5 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup shredded partly skimmed mozzarella
- 4 tsp olive oil
- Microwave potatoes on high until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, combine vinegar, sugar, and peppercorns; bring to a boil and stir to dissolve sugar.
- Place onion slices in a medium heatproof bowl; pour hot vinegar mixture over onion and let stand 10 minutes.
- Drain onion slices and transfer to a plate to cool.
- Split cooked potatoes open with a knife; remove flesh and transfer to a bowl
- Use a fork to mash potato with salt and pepper; divide potato filling among 4 tortillas.
- Top each with 1 heaping cup spinach, 1/4 cup cheese, and another tortilla.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Working in batches, heat 1 teaspoon oil and transfer 1 quesadilla to skillet; cook until quesadilla is crisp and cheese is melted (about 3 minutes per side).
- Transfer cooked quesadilla to serving plate. Repeat with remaining oil and quesadillas. Cut quesadillas in quarters and serve each with 1/4 cup pickled onions.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!