Dr. Nandi’s Thanksgiving Cider Shrub
Dr. Nandi's Thanksgiving Cider Shrub
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 1 vanilla bean split and scraped
- 2 Tbsp whole cloves
- 2 Tbsp whole allspice
- 1 large black cardamom pod slightly crushed
- 1 quart apple cider
- 1 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 inch nub fresh ginger sliced thin
- 2 apples quartered and sliced thin
- Peel of 1/2 orange
- Peel of 1/2 lemon
- In a large pot, combine sugar, cinnamon, vanilla bean, cloves, allspice, and cardamom. Place over high heat.
- Once the sugar begins to melt and caramelize slightly in places, stir occasionally to ensure somewhat even caramelization and some toasting of spices.
- Once sugar is all melted and caramel is almost the color of maple syrup, remove from heat and carefully add cider, then vinegar, ginger, apple and citrus peels.
- Return pot to heat, bringing to a gentle simmer over medium heat.
- Stir occasionally. Once all sugar has melted back down, remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature before pressing through a fine mesh strainer.
- Keep chilled, shaking gently before using as shrubs tend to separate a little in storage.
- Keeps for at least a month.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!