Vegan “Corned Beef and Cabbage”
Vegan "Corned Beef and Cabbage"
- 12 oz. tempeh
- 1 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 Tbsp tamari
- 1 1/2 tsp spicy brown mustard
- 3/4 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp ground coriander
- 3/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 6-8 whole cloves
- 3 bay leaves
- In a medium mixing bowl and all the marinade ingredients.
- Combine well. Set aside.
- Using a large zip-top bag, place tempeh in it and add marinade.
- Make sure the tempeh is completely covered with marinade and place in fridge.
- Leave overnight.
- Remove from fridge and slice tempeh into 12 slices.
- In a Dutch oven on medium-low heat, place slices at bottom and cover with marinade.
- Simmer for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove tempeh and set aside.
- Rinse out Dutch oven.
- Using Dutch oven again on medium-low heat, add avocado oil, onion powder, carrots and cabbage.
- Allow to cook for 5-7 minutes, add salt and pepper to taste. Stir well. (if cabbage is sticking to bottom, add 3-4 Tbsp of water and stir)
- Cook for 5-7 more minutes. Stir occasionally.
- When carrots and cabbage are softening, lower heat all the way down.
- Place tempeh on top of cabbage.
- Cover Dutch oven.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Cabbage should be soft and wilted.
- Enjoy warm.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!