Use organic ingredients whenever possible.
1 lb. fresh chestnuts, rinsed, dried
7 cups water
4 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 cinnamon stick
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp sugar
Freshly grated nutmeg, pinch
2 brown paper lunch bags
- Pre-heat oven to 425F and place a large cast iron pan in oven to heat.
- Fill large saucepan with water and boil over high heat.
- Carve an “X” into rounded side of each chestnut with a sharp paring knife.
- Make sure you cut only through shell and not too deep into the nut meat.
- Once water is boiling, add chestnuts and blanch for 30-45 seconds.
- Drain and dry chestnuts.
- Transfer chestnuts, “X” side up, to pre-heated skillet in oven.
- Roast until the shell starts to curl away from the nut. (about 25-35 minutes)
- Transfer nuts to brown paper bags and close.
- Set aside to allow nuts to cool enough to be handled.
- Transfer skillet to your stovetop, add butter, cinnamon stick, salt, sugar and nutmeg. The skillet should still be hot enough to melt the butter and combine the ingredients.
- Once the ingredients are melted and combined, transfer the mixture to a medium bowl.
- Using your fingers, peel away the shells and brown skin found on the chestnuts. Add the peeled chestnuts to the butter mixture.
- Once all of your chestnuts are peeled and in the butter mixture toss to coat.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and serve warm.
The Health Benefits of Chestnuts
Find out why adding Chestnuts to your diet will help make you your own #HealthHero. Find out more about the Health Benefits of Chestnuts.