Tomato Basil Quinoa Bake
Use organic ingredients whenever possible.
- Yield: Serves 6 1x
1 1/2 cups quinoa, rinsed
4 1/2 cups vegetable stock
3–4 garlic cloves, finely minced
1 medium sweet onion, diced
1 1/2 cups cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
12 oz. lima beans rinsed and drained
8 oz. fresh baby spinach leaves
1/2 cup dried cranberries
2 Tbsp basil paste
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
6–8 leaves fresh basil, chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a medium pot, combine quinoa and broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer.
- In a large dutch oven, heat extra virgin olive oil over medium heat.
- Add garlic and onion to dutchoven and cook for 1-2 minutes. (onions should soften)
- Now add tomatoes and both types of basil and beans.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Take pot of quinoa and broth and pour into tomato mixture.
- Season and allow to simmer uncovered until quinoa absorbs broth and is cooked all the way through. (Save a bit of broth just in case you need to add it to quinoa if broth is absorbed too quickly)
- When quinoa is done cooking, add spinach, red pepper flakes and dried cranberries.
- Stir to wilt spinach.
- Top with some more red pepper flakes (optional)
The Health Benefits of Tomatoes
Find out why adding Tomatoes to your diet will help make you your own #HealthHero. Find out more about the Health Benefits of Tomatoes.