Use organic ingredients whenever possible.
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 large carrot, peeled and diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1 large potato, peeled and diced
3–4 garlic cloves, finely minced
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
28 oz. vegetable broth
8–10 oz. broccoli crowns (cut into 1-inch pieces, separate the stems and florets)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 tsp salt
- In a large saucepan, heat extra virgin olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, carrot and celery, cook for 5-7 minutes while stirring often. All celery and onion to soften.
- Add potato and garlic, cook for an additional 2 minutes while stirring.
- Stir in flour, dry mustard and cayenne, cook, stirring often for 2-3 minutes.
- Now, add broth and broccoli stems and bring everything to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to medium. Simmer and stir occasionally for 10-12 minutes.
- Stir in florets. Cover and simmer until the broccoli is tender. About 10-12 minutes.
- Transfer 2 cups cooked chowder to a large mixing bowl and mash ingredients, return to pan.
- Stir in cheddar and sour cream. Cook over medium heat. Stir until cheese melts and chowder is heated through. About 2-3 minutes.
- Season with salt.
- Serve hot.
The Health Benefits of Potatoes
Find out why adding Potatoes to your diet will help make you your own #HealthHero. Find out more about the Health Benefits of Potatoes.