Dr. Nandi’s Gazpacho with Grilled Tomatoes
Dr. Nandi's Gazpacho with Grilled Tomatoes
- 2 lbs. ripe plum tomatoes
- 1 small red bell pepper
- 1 English cucumber peeled and seeded, divided
- 1/2 cup torn fresh or day-old country bread (crusts removed)
- 1 small clove garlic
- 2 -3 Tbsp red-wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 tsp hot Spanish paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat grill to medium-high. Grill tomatoes and bell pepper, turning a few times, until they soften and the skins are blistered and charred in spots, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer the pepper to a plastic bag and let it steam until cool enough to handle.
- Peel off the skin; cut the pepper in half and discard the stem and seeds. Place one half in a blender. When the tomatoes are cool enough to handle, core and roughly chop.
- Add the tomatoes, skins and all, to the blender. Add half the cucumber to the blender along with bread, garlic, vinegar to taste, parsley, paprika , salt and pepper.
- Blend until smooth. Add oil and blend until well combined.
- Refrigerate until room temperature or chilled, at least 1 hour.
- Before serving, finely dice the remaining cucumber and bell pepper; stir into the gazpacho.
- Garnish with basil.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!