Autoimmune diseases occur when the body’s immune system attacks healthy cells and tissues, leading to a range of chronic and often debilitating conditions. While there is no cure for autoimmune diseases, there are several supplements that can help support the immune system and manage symptoms. In this article, we will explore the best supplements for autoimmune diseases, including vitamins, minerals, and herbs that can help reduce inflammation, improve immune function, and support overall health. Whether you are living with an autoimmune disease or simply looking to support your immune system, this article will provide valuable insights and recommendations for choosing the best supplements for your needs.
What are Autoimmune Diseases?
Autoimmune disease happens when the body’s natural immune system cannot differentiate your own cells and foreign cells and causes your body to mistakenly attack normal cells. There are over 80 different types of known autoimmune diseases that can affect a wide range of body parts.
Common autoimmune disorders include: 
- Diabetes (Type I) – affects the pancreas. Symptoms include thirst, frequent urination, weight loss, and increased susceptibility to infection.
- Graves’ disease – affects the thyroid gland. Symptoms include weight loss, elevated heart rate, anxiety, and diarrhea.
- Inflammatory bowel disease – includes ulcerative colitis and possibly, Crohn’s disease. Symptoms include diarrhea and abdominal pain.
- Multiple sclerosis – affects the nervous system. Depending on which part of the nervous system is affected, symptoms can include numbness, paralysis, and vision impairment.
- Psoriasis – affects the skin. Features include the development of thick, reddened skin scales.
- Rheumatoid arthritis – affects the joints. Symptoms include swollen and deformed joints. The eyes, lungs, and heart may also be targeted.
- Scleroderma – affects the skin and other structures, causing the formation of scar tissue. Features include thickening of the skin, skin ulcers, and stiff joints.
- Systemic lupus erythematosus – affects connective tissue and can strike any organ system of the body. Symptoms include joint inflammation, fever, weight loss, and a characteristic facial rash.
What Causes Autoimmune Disease?
The exact cause of autoimmune diseases is not known. There are several theories that it could be bacteria, viruses, or drugs that trigger changes that confuse the immune system or that there are certain genes that may make it more likely for you to develop an autoimmune disorder.
These are believed to be risk factors:
- Genetics – there seems to be a genetic predisposition to autoimmune disorders. However, family members can be affected by different disorders; while one person may have diabetes, another could have rheumatoid arthritis. However, it does seem that genetic susceptibility alone is not enough to trigger an autoimmune reaction, and other factors must contribute.
- Environmental factors – environmental factors might also be linked to autoimmune disorders, which could trigger certain genetic factors.
- Gender – about 75% of people with autoimmune disorders are women. 
- Sex hormones – autoimmune disorders also have a tendency to start during the childbearing years. Some disorders seem to be affected by major hormonal changes such as pregnancy, childbirth, and menopause.
- Infection – some disorders seem to be triggered or worsened by particular infections
How can you treat Autoimmune Disease?
Generally, autoimmune disorders can’t be cured, but in many cases, conditions can be controlled in different ways. Such treatment options include:
- anti-inflammatory drugs – to reduce inflammation and pain
- corticosteroids – to reduce inflammation. They are sometimes used to treat an acute flare of symptoms.
- pain-killing medication – such as paracetamol and codeine
- immunosuppressant drugs – to inhibit the activity of the immune system
- physical therapy – to encourage mobility
- treatment for the deficiency – for example, insulin injections in the case of diabetes
- surgery – for example, to treat bowel blockage in the case of Crohn’s disease
- high dose immunosuppression – the use of immune system suppressing drugs (in the doses needed to treat cancer or to prevent the rejection of transplanted organs) has been tried recently, with promising results. Particularly when intervention is early, the chance of a cure for some of these conditions seems possible.
What are the 11 best supplements for autoimmune disease prevention?
It’s important to note that there is no one-size-fits-all approach to preventing autoimmune diseases, and the effectiveness of supplements may vary depending on the individual’s specific condition and needs. There are immune boost multi-supplements, however, here are ten supplements that have been shown to support immune function and reduce inflammation, which can be beneficial for autoimmune disease prevention:
NAC can relieve symptoms of respiratory conditions, reduce inflammation, and boost the immune system.
2) Vitamin D
Research suggests that vitamin D deficiency may be linked to autoimmune diseases. Supplementing with vitamin D may help regulate immune function and reduce inflammation.
3) Omega-3 fatty acids
Omega-3s, found in fish oil, have anti-inflammatory properties that may be beneficial for autoimmune diseases.
Probiotics can help maintain a healthy balance of gut bacteria, which can support immune function and reduce inflammation.
Curcumin, a compound found in turmeric, has anti-inflammatory properties that may be beneficial for autoimmune diseases.
6) Vitamin C
Vitamin C has antioxidant properties that may help reduce inflammation and support immune function.
Magnesium is involved in many processes in the body, including immune function. Supplementing with magnesium may help support the immune system.
Zinc is involved in many immune processes, and supplementing with zinc may help support immune function and reduce inflammation.
Resveratrol, a compound found in grapes and red wine, has anti-inflammatory properties that may be beneficial for autoimmune diseases.
Quercetin, a flavonoid found in fruits and vegetables, has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that may be beneficial for autoimmune diseases.
11) Immune Health
Immune health is one of the best supplements that help to boost immunity and respiratory function which is useful for autoimmune diseases.
Why Do These Supplements Work to Fight Your Autoimmune Disease?
The supplements listed have been shown to have anti-inflammatory and/or immune-supporting properties, which can be beneficial for individuals with autoimmune diseases. In autoimmune diseases, the body’s immune system mistakenly attacks healthy tissues, leading to inflammation and tissue damage. By reducing inflammation and supporting immune function, these supplements may help mitigate the effects of autoimmune diseases.
Can Supplements for Autoimmune Disease be Risky?
As with any supplement or medication, there is the potential for supplements for autoimmune diseases to have risks or side effects. Some supplements may interact with medications or exacerbate certain health conditions. It’s important to approach supplements with caution and always consult with a healthcare professional before adding them to your regimen. They can help you determine the appropriate dosages and whether the supplement is appropriate for your individual needs and health status.
Which supplements are right for me?
Determining the right supplements for you to manage an autoimmune disease is best done in consultation with a healthcare professional who is familiar with your individual health status and condition. They can help you determine the appropriate supplements and dosages based on your specific needs and potential interactions with any medications you are taking.
However, some commonly recommended supplements for managing autoimmune diseases include N-acetyl cysteine, vitamin D, omega-3 fatty acids, probiotics, curcumin, vitamin C, magnesium, zinc, ashwagandha, resveratrol, and quercetin. These supplements have been shown to have anti-inflammatory and immune-supporting properties, which can be beneficial for managing autoimmune diseases.
It’s important to keep in mind that supplements are not a replacement for standard medical care and should be used in conjunction with any prescribed medications or treatments. Additionally, the effectiveness of supplements can vary depending on the individual’s specific condition and needs, so it’s best to consult with a healthcare professional before adding any supplements to your regimen.
Consult with an expert (Ask Dr. Nandi)
Frequently Asked Questions on Autoimmune Supplements
What are the best natural supplements for autoimmune disease?
Among the best natural supplements for autoimmune disease are Omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin D, probiotics, curcumin, ginger, and green tea.
What vitamins help with autoimmune disorders?
Vitamin D, Vitamin B12, Vitamin C, and Vitamin E are among the most common vitamins used to help with autoimmune disorders.
Can you reverse autoimmune disease naturally?
While there is no known cure for autoimmune diseases, some people may be able to manage their symptoms and even put their disease into remission through lifestyle modifications and natural therapies. However, the effectiveness of these approaches may vary from person to person, and it is important to work with a healthcare professional to develop an individualized treatment plan.
My Personal RX:
- I recommend downloading a free copy of “DR. NANDI’S PROTOCOL FOR OPTIMIZING YOUR HEALTH AND WELLBEING” a FREE 50-page protocol with step-by-step instructions on how to change your life.
- I also recommend that my patients consider supplementing their diets with key nutrients and supplements. Most diets, even optimized do not provide for the daily nutritional needs required to optimize our health and prevent disease. I designed Core Essentials specifically for men and women to meet those needs. Women’s Core Essentials and Men’s Core Essentials are carefully crafted to provide the essential nutrients your body needs for optimal health. Combined with the power of exercise, you can supercharge your well-being and prevent chronic conditions like heart disease, stroke, and diabetes! The Women’s Core Essentials are designed to support women’s unique nutritional needs. Our women’s essential vitamin ensures baseline nutrition, protects against deficiencies, and supports a healthy metabolism. Pair it with our Omega-3 fish oil for cardiovascular health, cognitive function, and overall well-being. Complete the bundle with Ultra CalMag, promoting cardiovascular health and muscle relaxation. Our Men’s Core Essentials are tailored to address men’s specific nutritional requirements. Our men’s essential multivitamin provides baseline nutrition and full-spectrum antioxidant protection. Combined with Omega-3 fish oil for cardiovascular health and Protein Plus powder for energy production and immune support, this bundle has you covered.
- But remember, nutrition alone is not enough. Research has shown that exercise is a powerful medicine in itself! A groundbreaking study published in the British Medical Journal highlighted exercise’s effectiveness in preventing heart disease and stroke. Additionally, lifestyle interventions, including regular exercise, have been proven to reduce the incidence of diabetes (New England Journal of Medicine). So, lace up your sneakers and embrace the synergy of exercise and nutrition! Incorporate regular workouts into your routine while nourishing your body with our essential bundles. Consult with your healthcare provider to create an exercise plan that suits your needs.
Together, let’s unlock the full potential of your health and well-being. Experience the transformative power of essential nutrition and exercise today!