Keeping a healthy diet is probably the #1 difficulty for most of my patients, and the famous American diet doesn’t make it any easier! The good news is that with superfoods, you can’t go wrong.
You’ve probably heard the term “superfood” used quite a bit in the health food world, but what does it mean?
What Are Superfoods?
A “superfood” refers to food rich in nutrients and highly beneficial to your well-being. In most cases, “superfoods” include organic, plant-based, whole foods.
Superfoods can be few and far between in today’s processed and fast-food diet. But when it comes right down to it, these superfoods are precisely what your body truly needs and craves.
Are Superfoods Good For You?
Of course! These foods provide you with the vitamins and minerals that your body needs to function appropriately or help you maintain a healthy weight; they have countless other benefits! These foods can help prevent diseases, improve your mood and energy, and ultimately take you on the road to better health.
Nandi’s Favorite Superfoods
My kids love broccoli, so we eat it every day. I have to buy four or five bunches at a time to keep up with the demand! Broccoli has more than the recommended daily value of vitamin C and K and is also packed with calcium, magnesium, and potassium. Broccoli has also shown powerful antioxidant and anticancer abilities. (1, 2)
This typical breakfast food has more than meets the eye! Eggs contain vitamins A, B, D, E, and K and zinc and calcium. Studies also show that eggs help prevent chronic and infectious diseases. (3)
Ginger is more than just a spice found in Christmas cookies. It’s a superfood! Although it will probably do you more suitable if you eat it in something that hasn’t been frosted and candied. Ginger has certain enzymes that help reduce inflammation and has also been shown to help relieve nausea and ease digestive issues. This spice is also a potent antioxidant. (4, 5, 6)
Celery is an excellent superfood because it’s antibacterial and anti-inflammatory, and it can help lower blood glucose. (7)
Organic Greek Yogurt
I eat one of these every day because they are a delicious superfood! Greek yogurt is an excellent protein, vitamin D, and probiotic source. It can help you feel fuller for longer and aid in digestive health. (8)
Here is another superfood I keep on the daily menu. My favorite way to eat organic, leafy greens is in a salad. Greens are packed with chlorophyll, vitamins A, C, K, magnesium, fiber, and iron. Studies also show that organic greens help lower the risk of cardiovascular disease. (9)
There’s some truth to the old saying, “An apple a day keeps the doctor away,” because this superfood can help prevent chronic disease. As a bonus, they provide loads of vitamin C and potassium. (10, 11)
Another food often found in the kitchen that you may not have known was a superfood! Oranges are high in vitamin C and are a potent antioxidant. (12)
Many people have become recently obsessed with avocados, and with good reason. Avocados have tons of dietary fiber, potassium, magnesium, vitamin A, and vitamin C. They are also great for cardiovascular health, weight management, and healthy aging. (13)
It may sound like a strange superfood, but this is one of my favorites! Onions are the base of most Indian curries, so that we will chop up three large ones for the sauce, and I’ll even add some raw on top of my chicken curry. They are an excellent probiotic which works miracles for the immune and digestive systems. (14)
Just one sweet potato can give you over 700% of the daily value of vitamin A and vitamin C and B6, calcium, magnesium, and iron. And on top of that, they are delicious! (15)
Berries are also an incredible antioxidant and a great benefit to cardiovascular health. The best part is that these guys go great in salads, smoothies, juice, and tons of other delicious recipes for any occasion. (16)
I don’t let a day go by without this tasty superfood! This popular fruit can give you needed vitamin C, potassium, dietary fiber, and vitamin B6. (17)
Salmon is the most common superfood in this category, and our oldest son loves it! Other superfood fish are freshwater coho salmon, sardines, trout, tuna, and Atlantic mackerel. Fish is a fantastic source of omega-3 fatty acids and many other nutrients. (18)
Any kinds of nuts are highly beneficial. Almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts, pistachios, cashews, macadamias, you name it! Nuts are a high-quality protein. They also contain fiber, minerals, and other nutrients. Nuts are also beneficial in preventing heart disease, inflammation and lowering cholesterol. (19)
The best part about these superfoods is that they are all incredibly affordable, and most of them are probably sitting in your fridge at this very moment. So you have no excuses! Commit to eating some of these superfoods daily, and watch for the benefits to start showing up!
My Personal RX
To further enhance the benefits of incorporating superfoods into your daily routine, I have a few additional recommendations that can help to balance stress, optimize your life, and improve nutrient absorption:
- Maintain a Healthy, Balanced Diet: Incorporating a variety of these superfoods into your meals can ensure that your body gets a balance of the vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients it needs to function optimally.
- Regular Exercise: Engaging in physical activity on a regular basis is vital for maintaining physical health, managing weight, reducing stress, and promoting mental wellbeing. It can be as simple as going for a walk or doing yoga in your living room, or as intensive as weightlifting or running.
- Get Out in Nature: There’s something inherently calming about being outdoors. Whether you’re taking a walk in a park, gardening, or just sitting in your backyard, spending time in nature can help reduce stress and improve your mood.
- Download a Free Copy of My Protocol: This 50-page step-by-step guide is designed to help you optimize your life. It offers comprehensive strategies and tips on diet, exercise, stress management, and other key aspects of a healthy lifestyle
- Take My Super Greens Supplement: Proper nutrient absorption is crucial for your body’s overall health and function. My Super Greens supplement can provide your body with essential nutrients that you might not be getting from your diet alone. This can help enhance your nutrient absorption and ensure that your body gets all the nutrients it needs to function at its best.
Remember, your health is a life-long commitment. By adopting these recommendations into your daily routine, you’ll be setting yourself up for a healthier, more balanced life. It may take time to see significant changes, but with consistency, you’ll soon start to reap the benefits.