Memorial Day weekend is here, and Summer is just around the corner. That means you’re about to break out the shorts, sandals … and the grill. That’s right. Barbecue season is upon us.
I love a good BBQ! I get to spend quality time with my tribe and enjoy trying out some killer new recipes. The challenge for many of us is resisting the temptation to reach for those fattening and unhealthy food choices that derail our hard work.
I want you to know that you can have a great grilling season filled with food, fun, and relaxation without derailing your efforts. And it’s super easy to do. You just have to remember two important things. Ready?
Ditch the Word “Diet,” and Follow the 80/20 Rule
That’s it. Seriously. That’s all you have to do. It might take a little willpower at times, but the reward is too great to let a little temptation bring you down.
I am the “undiet” doctor. Diets just don’t work. What works is making lifestyle choices that you can live with every day. So, rather than bumming yourself out by feeling like you have to stick to an impossible diet all season long, condition yourself to make smart nutritional choices.
Make Health Hero Safety Choices When it Comes to Grilled Meat
Here are my suggestions for enjoying delicious meals without jeopardizing your Health Hero status:
- Grab a turkey burger or a salmon burger instead of a regular burger.
- Grill up some fresh salmon instead of something fatty and unhealthy. Try my Moroccan-style grilled salmon– it’ll become a favorite!
- Add grilled veggies to your plate. These tasty feel-good foods can even boost your mood!
- For a refreshing summer side dish, throw together my Grilled Shrimp & Pineapple salad. You get color, flavor, and 2 tablespoons of high-quality tequila!
Remember 80/20 in Food Nutrition
Let’s not forget the 80/20 rule. It goes like this. Eat healthy 80% of the time, and enjoy some of your favorite foods 20% of the time. By not feeling completely deprived, you’ll stick with purposeful healthy eating and honor your commitment to foods that nourish your body and soul.
Keep Your Guests Safe
Nothing ruins a party faster than food poisoning. See my prescriptions below for my favorite grilling safety tips.
Healthy eating does not have to be boring! Yes, food is medicine. Yes, your nutrition is key to living a long and purposeful life. But your options are endless. When you commit to making good nutrition a part of your daily routine, you’ll reap the benefits of better health and happier life. So fire up the grill, nourish yourself with delicious, healthy food and enjoy a little time off with family and friends.
Make healthy living a part of every day.
The light in me honors the light in you. Namaste. Dr. Nandi
If you found this helpful and want to see more, join my newsletter community!
Partha’s Prescriptions for Healthy Grilling
- Always wash fruits and vegetables. This includes fruit you peel like oranges and bananas.
- Follow the 80/20 rule. You won’t feel deprived, so you’ll stick with purposeful healthy eating long-term.
- Cook and store food safely. Make sure meats and fish are cooked to appropriate temperatures and properly stored away. Visit foodsafety.gov for specific cooking/storage requirements.
- Leave the mingling to your guests. Keep fruit and produce separate from raw meat in order to avoid cross-contamination.
- 5 tips for healthy grilling – Harvard Health
- Healthy Grilling Tips for Summer – SOUND DIETITIANS LLC
- Your Guide to Healthy Grilling (webmd.com)
- Top 10 Tips for Healthy Grilling and Barbecuing | American Heart Association
- FDOH Urges Summer Safety with Tips for Swimming, Grilling and Chilling | Florida Department of Health (floridahealth.gov)
- Safe and healthy grilling tips | Center for Science in the Public Interest (cspinet.org)
- Advice for safe and healthy grilling – Mayo Clinic Health System